Any turbo expertise out there I could bother? and more onthepiston saga.....

The chance of the Chrysler mani fitting without tons of modding is slim to none. I wouldn't consider it. Check the shaft play on the turbo. See if it spins freely or if you can get it to come close to the walls. Audi 5k manis are easily found and dirt cheap on vortex. Pre-modded ones run maybe $50. However, they have a bolt pattern for the K2X turbos, so you'd have to make an adapter thingy.Turbo diesel manis are about the same price, don't need to be modded and I think some have the T3 bolt pattern. Personally, considering the options out there that are cheap and easy, I don't think it's worth the effort. You could sell the turbo on ebay, but I don't know if they're worth anything. The IC will also sell, or depending on dimensions could be good to use.

Either buy it and try to make it work, buy it and sell it (selling the turbo and IC will probably net you a slight profit) or just keep hunting for Saabs. T3 with the normal pattern and with the TD mani, you'll be good to go. If you really go ghetto, you could turbo your car for $200-300. Check the Vortex Tech section: Forced Induction for the 'Official How-To TD Turbo" or something like that.

Dan

stetson <tim@unrealexpectations.ath.cx> wrote:
K then.....

While out @ my local boneyard (it has become a favortie weekend pastime) I
came accross a convertable Chrysler GTC turbo w/ intercooler that is
untouched (wish I could say the same for the mitsubishi eclipse there) and
it got me wondering enough to ask on of the used auto overlords what the
penance for such a assembly would be.

At this the Mickey Rooney look alike denizen says to me,"The last one
we sold we got $50 for [for the eclipse I'm sure...DAMMT!]. For you my
friend, $40 complete." (And that is a direct quote. I think one of the
major reasons I like this yard so much is that the overlords have
surprising intellect and wit, as opposed to some w/ employees that seem to
still be struggling for the 1st rung of the evolutionary ladder.)

Unless there is some EXTREME twist of fortune in my general direction, I
doubt the Chrysler exhaust manifold will be a direct fit (But it does have
holes in the correct orientation) and my present early 80's 4-2 would need
some sort of adapter to run it, so should I look for an Audi 5Kish
manifold to modify? Or try the Chrysler one (which I'm going to anyway as
I can probably get it included in the turbo price)?

The turbo in question is a either a Garret VNT25, TO3, or TB03 from what
I can see. If it's a VNT I think I'll take a pass.

On the piston front, the machine shop is sourcing the pistons since GAP
couldn't procure them, but seems to have a line on a shop that custom
makes them for approx. $100 a piston from forged stock (a reason that
turbo started tickling my hind brain) w/ writst pins but not rings.

This seems to the way that I have to go. I thank you all for the great
info my last tech question on this topic got, and I'd prefer
hyperteutectic, but I DON'T want to pay something like what Autotech wants
for a set of pistons ($750!!!!).

Tomorrow is the day it all starts coming together,

Tim

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
-- Titus Maccius Plautus