Any turbo expertise out there I could bother? and more on thepistonsaga.....

K then.....

While out @ my local boneyard (it has become a favortie weekend pastime) I
came accross a convertable Chrysler GTC turbo w/ intercooler that is
untouched (wish I could say the same for the mitsubishi eclipse there) and
it got me wondering enough to ask on of the used auto overlords what the
penance for such a assembly would be.

At this the Mickey Rooney look alike denizen says to me,"The last one
we sold we got $50 for [for the eclipse I'm sure...DAMMT!]. For you my
friend, $40 complete." (And that is a direct quote. I think one of the
major reasons I like this yard so much is that the overlords have
surprising intellect and wit, as opposed to some w/ employees that seem to
still be struggling for the 1st rung of the evolutionary ladder.)

Unless there is some EXTREME twist of fortune in my general direction, I
doubt the Chrysler exhaust manifold will be a direct fit (But it does have
holes in the correct orientation) and my present early 80's 4-2 would need
some sort of adapter to run it, so should I look for an Audi 5Kish
manifold to modify? Or try the Chrysler one (which I'm going to anyway as
I can probably get it included in the turbo price)?

The turbo in question is a either a Garret VNT25, TO3, or TB03 from what
I can see. If it's a VNT I think I'll take a pass.

On the piston front, the machine shop is sourcing the pistons since GAP
couldn't procure them, but seems to have a line on a shop that custom
makes them for approx. $100 a piston from forged stock (a reason that
turbo started tickling my hind brain) w/ writst pins but not rings.

This seems to the way that I have to go. I thank you all for the great
info my last tech question on this topic got, and I'd prefer
hyperteutectic, but I DON'T want to pay something like what Autotech wants
for a set of pistons ($750!!!!).

Tomorrow is the day it all starts coming together,

Tim

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
		-- Titus Maccius Plautus