Tensioner Good, Exhaust Bad

This may have already been answered, BUT:

  I kept going through downpipes on the GTI...  Don and I fashoined up a nice
flex joint with a larger ID.  I don't know the size, but I think it is
overkill...  I got it from a Mazda (GASP!).  Most of the Jap crap has a good
flex joint, it looks like a giant stainless steel hose cover, but has an
internal flex joint of some unknown nature...  It works a treat, I have been
driving hard for 2 plus years on it...  Also something else that will help...
The early cars (Rabbits for sure) had a bracket that extended from the rear of
the tranny, and from the engine block.  These two brackets would mount near
the beginning of the 90 degree bend there at the firewall.  This helps stop
the downpipe from causing stress at the exhaust manifold from engine movement.

HTH

David Utley