Tensioner Good, Exhaust Bad

Between reading my emails from newest to oldest and being too lazy to find the original email, I'm not exactly sure of the issue. However, I can still manage to add comments! ;)
Ball joints suck. My headers have one and it does nothing. As for a section of flex pipe, you can pick one up in just about any diameter from ATP (www.8vturbo.com). Lots of people use them for their custom downpipe applications and they seem of pretty decent quality.

Just checked the site. They're stainless steel and come in sizes 2, 2.5, 3 and 4". Prices go from $26 to $49.

Dan

Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:
Bryan Rankin wrote:

> Brought it home, and the old man was positive it needed a flex pipe.
> What do you guys reccomend I do?

This is tangentially related to the 16V downpipe issue. That system
flexes on springs on the dp and a ball joint exh connection right in
front of the cat. The lowly toilet bowl 8Vs flex at the toilet clamp
joint. MkI &etc. have that lovely corrugated foot-long flex tube that
doesn't come stock bigger than 1.5" or whatever and FLAPS knock-offs are
definitely inferior metal and not a good solution anyway. I would love
to hear the current state of the art on solving this matter from the pros.

If the exhaust is attached to the engine rigidly, it is essentially a
big lever and Archimedes taught us that those are powerful. Somewhere
it will eventually break so the old man is right again--you need a flex
point.