weird rocco happenings (part deux)

ok, so last weekend i did the gunk engine brite all over the engine bay
treatment, followed by hosing the crap out of the engine bay (with engine
running), hoping to agitate whatever fault there may be. not a single
flinch, despite drenching everything with the nozzle set on 'jet'. i did
some cheezy checks of the idle switch (note: if its stuck open, it makes the
idle high, not low), and some other under-hood checks. came up empty.

...and everything was fine all of this week (i drive the rieger 30 mins to /
from work daily).

then today i got the same cut-out. happened while coasting in gear (again).
hit gas, nothing. cycled neutral, attempting roll-start - nothing. cycled
key - voala, back in business. 10 secs later it does it again, this time i
stop and restart engine - starts again, no problem. it does it once more,
but this time as im coasting with it floored, it pops back to life out of
nowhere.

i deduce the following on the rest of the trip home:
- happens while decelerating - possibly electrical in engine bay caused by
engine torquing forward, or something electrical that is sensitive to
deceleration. (problem never happens while on throttle, no matter how much
throttle - trust me :).
- comes back after messing with key - possibly something with ignition
switch.

after pulling into the driveway i turn the engine off, then turn the key
back to ignition and slowly figit with it towards the off direction. i hear
a click come from the fuse panel, but the ignition is still on. turn key cw
again (still in 'on' position), and get another click. i can now cycle the
key back and forth about 10 degrees and i'm causing 'some' click from the
fuse panel. i figure this is my problem, so i start the engine again and do
the same cycling of the key. the clicks continue from the fuse panel, but it
has no effect on engine idle at all (weird, i thought it was the fuel pump
relay that was clicking). turn off engine and fiddle with key while checking
relays. turns out its the load reduction relay. i'll admit, im weak on what
load reduction is supposed to do, but i can say now it has no effect on the
idle. question is, could it result in engine cut while driving?

any other ideas, please dont hesitate to throw in your $0.02
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 200k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
90 Passat GL 16V (the wifes new daily, 200k)