P/S (was: Re: '88 16v parts to an '81)

> The power steering does nothing for you over the speed of approximately 15-20
> mph...  It is only there for parkinglot manuevers.  The p/s rack however is a
> slightly quicker ratio from lock to lock, however, so if I had my choice of
> the two, I would go power...  IF I did not have to install it...  :-)
>
> David Utley

This is my main reason for liking P/S.. the quicker ratio. It lets me keep
my hand on/near the shifter for a longer portion of a turn and as a
result, drive faster (by being in the right gear more often). If you don't
think there is a difference then try driving a P/S dub with the engine off
and you'll see what I'm talking about. It feels like you're going to snap
the steering wheel off from putting so much force on it trying to turn in
a parking lot.

Road feel with a P/S rack is slightly diminished but I think this is
mainly the result of the tighter ratio. A bump that might have turned the
wheel 10 degrees with a manual rack may only turn it 6 degrees with P/S.
If you have good suspension bushings and whatnot then you just need to be
a little more sensitive to the input reaching your hands.

I don't see how the P/S could be responsible for making the steering
"mushy" when you consider that it is directly mechanically linked the the
tie rods. The power-assisting force is applied towards one side or the
other as the valve housing in the steering gear chooses (based on which
way you're turning).

If you've never driven a VW with power steering then you have no idea what
you're talking about; it's nothing like the mushboxes on many domestic
vehicles. No rudder steering feel here.

As far as under the hood crap is concerned tho, P/S is definitely the
loser.

-Toby