WTB: 3a from Audi 80

Bryan, have you considered using a VW 2.0 ABA block instead of the 3A?
They are a dime-a-dozen these days.  There's all kinds with less than
100,000km in the junkyards.  I'm sure it'll be a lot easier to locate in
your area than the 3A.  FWIW, I paid $450 CDN for my complete ABA engine
(85,000km), and sold the head for $200 (I saved $200 by waiving the
warrantee - which they probably wouldn't have honored anyway since I
removed the head).  If you do decide to go this route, look for a 95 or
older, as they have the piston oil squirters, forged crank and rods.
Finding a low mileage 3A might prove difficult.  My choices were to
rebuild a higher mileage 3A or buy a low mileage ABA and just swap it
in.  The ABA option was much cheaper, and in my opinion a low mileage
factory assembled engine beats a rebuilt one any day. (unless you do it
yourself, or your best friend is a machinist... :D )

I took the easy way with my buildup by buying a new distributor from
Techtonics especially for this swap.  The cheaper way to do it would be
to buy/make an adaptor ring and swap the ABA gear onto a (IIRC) JH
distributor, but I got mixed recommendations from people regarding this
procedure.  Most said it was a real PITA...  An option for you might be
to graft in the knock sensor wiring yourself instead of paying big bucks
for the prebuilt harness, and with the money you saved buy the TT
distributor.  (the wiring is not hard at all, and there's a lot of good
help on this list if you run into problems...)

I made my own crankcase vent block-off plate out of 1/4" aluminum plate
- very easy to do...  Grafting in the knock sensor stuff is the same for
both the 3A and ABA.  IIRC the only other issue you might have is with
the exhaust downpipe to floor clearance because the ABA block is 16mm
taller.  I made a 3/8" thick steel "spacer" to fit between the exhaust
manifold and downpipe, using longer studs and two stock gaskets to
sandwich it.  This would have worked perfectly, but I didn't even need
it because the Techtonics race DP had enough clearance without it.

Let us know if you have any questions, there's a few people on the list
that have done the ABA/JH swap combo...

Mark.
75
80 S