blown shock part 2

So I took a peek  in the trunk this afternoon, which (duh) I should have done first thing.  The whole upper shock assembly is going for freedom through the top of the strut tower.  I picked up my haynes manual this afternoon, but in the meantime, wtf does this mean?  Has this happened to anyone else?
If nothing else, a chance to bloody my nickles with my budding mechanic skills again.

Thanks, G

P.S. Thanks for all the budget suguestions.  I'm definetly on a budget  lol.