blown shock part 2

>So I took a peek  in the trunk this afternoon, which (duh) I should
>have done first thing.  The whole upper shock assembly is going for
>freedom through the top of the strut tower.  I picked up my haynes
>manual this afternoon, but in the meantime, wtf does this mean?  Has
>this happened to anyone else?
>If nothing else, a chance to bloody my nickles with my budding
>mechanic skills again.
>
>Thanks, G
>
>P.S. Thanks for all the budget suguestions.  I'm definetly on a budget  lol.

Yep, had this happen on my first Scirocco, too many years ago to
count.  It's a failure of
a tiny circlip trapped in a groove on the shock shaft.  It
essentially retain the shaft upward
movement by "stopping" against the upper metal spacer between the
upper and lower
bushings.   When it's goine, the shaft can just zing upward, carring
the bearins and spacers
with it.  Makes a hell of a banging noise though as the shock hits
the underside of the
metal outer parcel shelf.

You _might_ be able to tear this down and replace the retaining ring
if you're really
strapped for cash and the shock is still alright...perhaps a rightly
sized "E" ring would
do the trick?

==Brett