From: "Jeff Toomasson" <jtoomasson@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 11:28 AM
Subject: Any drawback to having a hydro head on a JH?

When I bought the Cali, I noticed that the head had the big H on it. The PO
says that the cylinder head had never been replaced so it could very well be
the first owner's doing.

I checked the block this morning and it is indeed a JH.

What would this do? My first inclination is that, assuming only the head was
replaced, if the engine's oil pump wasn't upgraded at the same time, the
smaller solid-lifter pump probably wouldn't generate enough oil pressure to
allow the hydraulic valve train to operate properly.

Or - maybe the engine was completely replaced with something out of an
'85/6/7/8 8v and the only way to truly confirm if the oil pump is the right
one is to crack open the oil pan, right?

Sheesh - Only in a Scirocco!   :)

JT