The mathematics of the 8V vs16V problem

Hey Brian,
         Good question.  Have a look again at the curves:
http://home.netcom.com/~jdbubb/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Scirocco_dyno.jpg

         If you look closely, that drop is actually one side of a big bulge
in the torque curve between 3750 and 4750rpm.  I can't know for sure, but
that large increase in torque in a certain rpm range is most likely a
result of a resonance in the intake.

         As air is drawn into the engine, though you would think that it's
a steady stream, it's not.  Air gets sucked in as the valve(s)open, but
then the flow of air stops when the valve(s) close.  This process repeats
itself at a fast rate as the valves open and close.  As you've no doubt
experienced while playing with yourself in the bathtub, any time there's a
sudden stop of motion, the water (or air) will bounce back the other
way.  At certain places in the rev range, this motion will happen just at
the right time so that when the valve is opening, the air is bouncing back
toward the valve... and it creates a ram-air effect pushing more air (and
fuel) into the cylinders.  The result is an increase like you see on Dan's
curve.

         Of course, it can also work the other way:  If it's timed right
(or, "wrong"), it can cause a dip in the torque curve.  You can see that
very clearly if you look at almost any 16V's torque curve.  The more tuned
they are, the more pronounced the dip generally is.  Brett, our famous list
host has been one of the few 16Vs to cross the 150whp mark without
sacrifice to driveability...  He did a fantastic job designing an engine
concept that eliminated all of those problems -- and as a result, his "dip"
is far less severe than many.  But it's still there... check out this
picture: http://www.scirocco16v.org/dyno/brett.jpg
You'll see a marked drop in torque from about 2750 to 4000rpm.

         Thus on Dan's 8V, there is some beneficial resonance happening
between 3750 and 4750.  On the 16V, there's some negative resonance
happening in the mid-range.  While I've never sought to prove that this is
indeed the cause for the 16V's dip, that's likely the cause.

Jason