Transaxle question...

> > 1) does anyone use the special tool that goes across the bellhousing on
> > the flywheel side to support the mainshaft when you press/hammer the case
> > back together? (my guess was I could support the clutch end of the
> > mainshaft on a hardwood or soft metal block while banging the case bearing
> > back onto it.)
>
> I didn't use anything IIRC. Just set the top of the case on to the bottom
> of the case, then drop in the bolts and tighten them evenly.. the case
> halves should 'plop' together with no effort at all. Do keep trying to
> spin the shafts though to make sure the bearings are seating properly.

Pulling the case halves together with the bolts is fine.  Set the tranny on it's bellhousing face
and put some wood under the mainshaft so it bears weight.  Tighten the case bolts gradually and
keep spinning the shafts.  If they get tight, give the inner race of the rear mainshaft bearing a
pop with a soft-faced hammer/punch.  I have a brass sleeve that fits perfectly for this; but a
hammer and brass punch will work fine.  This is to move the main bearing into place along the
mainshaft and not distort the case.

> You ***NEED*** a press to do the bolt kit. The bolts deform as you press
> them in (their diameter is larger than that of the holes)

At least with a Quaife, I have ruined bolts using a press.  The serrations smeared off and rolled
under the heads, which then didn't seat fully across their faces.  A new bolt kit plus driving the
bolts in with a hammer and brass punch worked wonderfully.  I believe I'll do this on stock diffs
from now on.