Transaxle question...

Disclaimer: I have only done this once; but the tranny I did it to still
works perfect and has gone several thousand miles so far. Use this
information at your own risk.

> I have made all the tools I need and successfully torn down a junk 020,
> now need to figure out how to reassemble correctly before tearing into my
> good transaxle. Looks pretty straightforward from reading bently, but...
>
> couple of questions:
> 1) does anyone use the special tool that goes across the bellhousing on
> the flywheel side to support the mainshaft when you press/hammer the case
> back together? (my guess was I could support the clutch end of the
> mainshaft on a hardwood or soft metal block while banging the case bearing
> back onto it.)

I didn't use anything IIRC. Just set the top of the case on to the bottom
of the case, then drop in the bolts and tighten them evenly.. the case
halves should 'plop' together with no effort at all. Do keep trying to
spin the shafts though to make sure the bearings are seating properly. In
my case they got hard to turn the first time I put the case halves
together and I freaked out; but I resolved it (can't remember how exactly;
it's written in my log though) without anything breaking.

> 2) is there any reason I could not reassemble the transaxle without a
> press? I have done front bearings on an a1&a2 with big sockets & big
> hammers, and have done plenty of engine work where you heat gears in an
> oilbath to reinstall.
>
> All I plan to do is install a bolt kit & reassemble, no shimming or
> bearing replacement hopefully, I probably would need a press for that.

You ***NEED*** a press to do the bolt kit. The bolts deform as you press
them in (their diameter is larger than that of the holes). If you know
someone with a press it takes 20 minutes tops to do all 8 bolts, including
set-up time. Don't try to do it any other way.

Hell; if there's an automotive/tool store in your area that sells presses,
just cruise in there with the differential tucked under you shirt and have
a friend block you from view while you discretely press the bolts in then
sneak out. Even such a 'covert ops' task would be easier than installing
the bolts w/o a press. Before I broke down and bought a press I tried a
1-ton "hand press" and it did nothing at all, even with a 6 ft breaker bar
(well; it destroyed the press.. but the bolts didn't budge)

It is crucial that you press the bolts in the right direction. Ask me how
I know (or my wallet.. tho$e bolt$ are non-reu$able once you pre$$ them
in).

For me, the whole bolt kit thing was a bit of an ordeal. Make sure you
drill from the dimpled sides (yeah, i know.. "duh!"; but hindsight is
20/20.. especially when you interpret credible instructions to say
otherwise) and use very hard drill bits. I built a 'jig' out of 4x4s and
2x4s screwed together to hold the diff still while I drilled; and I clampd
that whole contraption to the drill press. I recommend doing something
similar; if the drill bit bites for any reason it can really hurt your
wrist when the whole 15 lb diff+ring gear hits you with force. (In theory,
of course..)

If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me.. I have lots of
pics of the tranny internals too if you need help.

-Toby