Transaxle question...

Hi all,

I have made all the tools I need and successfully torn down a junk 020,
now need to figure out how to reassemble correctly before tearing into my
good transaxle. Looks pretty straightforward from reading bently, but...

couple of questions:
1) does anyone use the special tool that goes across the bellhousing on
the flywheel side to support the mainshaft when you press/hammer the case
back together? (my guess was I could support the clutch end of the
mainshaft on a hardwood or soft metal block while banging the case bearing
back onto it.)

2) is there any reason I could not reassemble the transaxle without a
press? I have done front bearings on an a1&a2 with big sockets & big
hammers, and have done plenty of engine work where you heat gears in an
oilbath to reinstall.

All I plan to do is install a bolt kit & reassemble, no shimming or
bearing replacement hopefully, I probably would need a press for that.

take care,

Jester

     Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -- Frank Zappa
                       http://westfailure.net