buying car in another state - hows it *supposed to* work

Al,

I did this before in SC and found out the law and what my insurance company
allowed.  In SC you thirty days to insure and register the car.  You can
drive with the NY tags or any other tag. Best if you get a 30 temp tag from
the state as this will avoid being pulled by troopers and hassled (they will
right you a ticket for no tag, you show to court with tag, registration and
proof of insurance and the charge is dropped.) Insurance companies varied.
I have state farm and they cover any vehicle I purchase for thirty days from
sale with the same coverage as my most covered vehicle.

I would call you insurance company for specifics of your coverage and length
of coverage before binding.

HTH

David L. Winchell, II
Winchell Appraisal Service