Car stereo? Try this.

Speaking of car stereo.. does anyone have experience with those
permanent-install (i.e. in-line with your antenna connector) fm modulators
that essentially give you an aux-in to allow you to use, say, an in-car
DVD system or mp3 player through your current radio?

I'm curious about things like sound quality, hum at high volumes, etc.
'cause I'm thinking about dropping the cash on one; I want to use my
mp3-cd player in my car so I don't have to change discs while driving (so
that I can just put in a cd full of mp3s on shuffle).

My deck is an older Alpine cd unit that is not "Versatile-link" compatible
so I can't buy the adapter that turns the cd changer input in to an
auxilary input. It doesn't play tapes so a tape adapter is no good; it
seems that an fm modulator is the only way (short of replacing the deck;
which is too expensive).

Any opinions or experiences?

-Toby