CV Joints vs Axle assembly

At 02:03 PM 11/19/03 -0500, Jon Palm wrote:

>Well I have that clunk clunk thing going on, and noticed the cv boot is
>about half gone. So I was pricing new cv's and there was complete axle
>assemblies for only 10 bucks more. Does the assembly typically have both
>inner and outer cv's with it? If so, I'd just as soon get a whole assembly
>than dick with pulling and packing cv's, especially for just 10 bucks
>more. Please comment....

The complete axle is ready to go.  Since it is just a little more than a CV
it is probably a rebuilt.
Some people have had bad luck with them, I personally have not.  Though if
you are really going
to push the car hard, race it, drag it or autocross it I would get the CV
or a new axle.  If you aren't
very hard on it I can't see why not go with a rebuilt.  I did that on my
Dakota(the front has CV shafts)
for $89 and it has a lifetime warranty.  Hopefully the one you are looking
at has this too.  Not so bad if
you only get a year or two out of then.  On a side note, people bitch about
the price of foreign car parts;
a year before my Dakota's CV went the boot tore, price for a boot
kit-$60.  I could have done 3 or maybe
all 4 on a VW for that price.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe