Speaking of our cars being possesed

Re: Black engine paint.  For 30 years, I've used Rustoleum Barbecue Black
paint on Porsche and VW engine parts, including exhaust. (Wonderful on air
cooled engine shrouds.) It's high temp, relatively cheap, and very easy to
find and match when you run out of it.
You're right to degrease before the wire wheel, so you don't imbed oils in
the metal. After the wire wheel or sandblasting, I like to put the part in
final position for painting then rinse it with brake cleaner spray to
remove dust and oil remnants, let dry, and never touch it with bare
hands/palm sweat/body oils until the paint is dry enough for assembly or
baking.
If you have to paint a section that's rusted,  apply phosphoric acid after
the final abrasive, then rinse with the brake cleaner (a cheap / generic
brake cleaner).
NO PRIMER
When you spray, make the finish coat as thin as possible to cover. Less is
better. Best method is two very thin coats done at 90 degrees to each other.
Follow the curing instructions on the can, or dry 24 hours before assembly
or baking.
Baking the parts before installation helps, if you have an oven to do it
in. Once exposed to heat, it is a tough finish that's also resistant to oil
and scratching. I've never had it flake. Wouldn't consider using anything
else. (No, I don't own their stock.)
It also works for what is was intended: barbecues. Rustoleum barbecue used
to be available in all sorts of colors, but I only see black on the shelves
now.