burn, baby burn (oil, that is)

> Overall I'm impressed - the intercooler has cut down on pretty much all
> exhaust smoke - which means once I get the pyro installed I'll be in good
> shape to start turning up the fuel - and the new downpipe and 2.5" exhaust
> have really made a difference in how that little 1.6 breathes.
> Drew
Hi Drew;
    Get that Pyro in it tells most all one needs to know instantly. You can
only turn up the fuel screw a little because it will easily throw too much
black smoke when you hit the fuel pedal at lower RPMS. When you get to about
5 lbs boost the smoke will go away. I would sugest that you try to use the
boost enrichment screw to get more fuel on the top end. I have an 81 pickup
with a 1600 diesel with a jetta turbo. I have a custom fresh air intake from
the rain tray and a custom two and a half inch straight pipe. This engine
runs great and I just got 50 mpg on a 300 mile mostly freeway trip at 60 to
75 miles per hour. I am planing on installing an intercooler from a new
Beatle turbo and when I do I'm not going to try to increase power by primary
fuel enrichment but by increasing the waste gate threshold. It gives about 9
or 10 lbs of boost now when the waste gate opens and I intend to try for
about twice that. The big diesel Trucks I drive for a living operate with
about 30 lbs of boost.
Brian Decker