[tech] Mk1 Scirocco 16V HELP

Someone out there must be able to help me on this one...I just paid to have my sis'
fiancee's Passat repaired and now I'm having car troubles...c'est la vie.

Nonetheless, the problem car:  81 Scirocco 16V CIS-e.  Car starts when cold.  BUT after
driving for a while the motor will cut out and that's all folks.  The motor will turn over
but won't catch.  If I let the car sit for a while, she'll start.  Fuel pump is new
(Bosch), ignition distributor was rebuilt so it's clean with no oil in there, new wires,
new plugs, new rotor, new fuel filter, new oil.  I dunno what to look for.  I was thinking
that the computer is FUBAR.  Firstly, I don't know how to determine if it is in fact
cooked (I have not yet referred to the VW Bible), and secondly, I don't have a spare one
or know of one which is in working condition (well, I have one in the Rabbit - will that
work?)...

Can it be any of the sensors causing this?  Temp sensor? O2 sensor (I highly doubt)?  Any
ideas or suggestions or something I can start with?

I was going to install a fuel filter between the gas tank and the fuel pump...in that way,
I can monitor whether or not rust or dirt is getting into the fuel pump.......any ideas?
Someone?  Yes, desparation has set in cuz I sold my running scirocco.... :)  Well, the
good part is that I'm taking the bus to school this summer but I'm unemployed in the
interim... :(

TIA

Sal Guzzo (in need of some TLC)
81 Scirocco 16V