[tech] Mk1 Scirocco 16V HELP

At 07:48 PM 5/19/2003, Sal Guzzo wrote:
>Someone out there must be able to help me on this one...I just paid to
>have my sis'
>fiancee's Passat repaired and now I'm having car troubles...c'est la vie.
>
>Nonetheless, the problem car:  81 Scirocco 16V CIS-e.  Car starts when
>cold.  BUT after
>driving for a while the motor will cut out and that's all folks.  The
>motor will turn over
>but won't catch.  If I let the car sit for a while, she'll start.  Fuel
>pump is new
>(Bosch),

Both of them?  Or do you only have one in there?
If you have 2, make sure the transfer pump is delivering fuel to the main pump.

>ignition distributor was rebuilt so it's clean with no oil in there, new
>wires,
>new plugs, new rotor, new fuel filter, new oil.  I dunno what to look
>for.  I was thinking
>that the computer is FUBAR.

If the CIS-E computer is dead, you probably won't die completely -- just
run like shit.
The knock sensor computer and the ignition computer will definitely kill
the motor if they die...

>   Firstly, I don't know how to determine if it is in fact
>cooked (I have not yet referred to the VW Bible), and secondly, I don't
>have a spare one
>or know of one which is in working condition (well, I have one in the
>Rabbit - will that
>work?)...

Try the ignition computer from the Wabbit.... read more below...

>Can it be any of the sensors causing this?  Temp sensor? O2 sensor (I
>highly doubt)?  Any
>ideas or suggestions or something I can start with?

Nope, the sensors wouldn't do this to you.

>I was going to install a fuel filter between the gas tank and the fuel
>pump...in that way,
>I can monitor whether or not rust or dirt is getting into the fuel
>pump.......any ideas?

That wouldn't explain the car re-starting if you let it sit.

>Someone?  Yes, desparation has set in cuz I sold my running scirocco....
>:)  Well, the
>good part is that I'm taking the bus to school this summer but I'm
>unemployed in the
>interim... :(

The next time it happens, note the following things:

1.  Does it just cut out instantly, or sputter and die?  Instant cut-out is
generally ignition, as fuel pressure fades more slowly and the car will
buck and be miserable for a second before it cuts out.

2.  When the car dies, if you're in gear, what happens to the tach?  If it
drops to 0 immediately when the car dies, you have a spark issue.  If it
still reads engine speed after you lose all power, then it's fuel.

3.  When it's dead, and you turn the ignition key on, do you hear your fuel
pump(s) buzz for a second?  If not, it could be the fuel pump relay that's
failing when it heats up.  Not uncommon.

4.  If the fuel pump(s) does/do work, pull an ignition wire and check for
spark.  (Make sure you have appropriate equipment (i.e. spare plug) with
you in the car to do this before you leave the house).  If you have spark,
you know it's a fuel problem.

 From what you've said, it sounds most likely to me that your ignition
computer is getting unhappy when hot and dying.  But it's just as likely
that your fuel pump relay is doing the same thing.  Let us know how the
testing goes...

Jason