newbie here well kind of

Rick Alexander wrote:

> Welcome Brad.
>
> If this car really only has 70K and it is rust free then I'd snatch it up
> for 1K. That of course assumes a few things.
> 1. That I had the one K.
> 2. That the odometer is working, they often break on these.
> 3. That "rust free" applied particularly to the rear axle mount areas, the
> strut towers and around the windshield.
>
> If the mileage is correct then the motor is probably not "weak" but the
> present owners impression. These things will do three times that before
> getting soft. The rubber items are unobtanium as are the MK1 specific things
> like trim. The wiring is probably in need of cleaning.
>
> So list, did I get it right?
>
> Rick Alexander

Yes, you did get it right.

I'll add a little bit too:

The 'S' designation os a trim model designation, no mechanicals were
any different than the stock Roc but they are somewhat more desirable
none the less.

Anybody who goes from any turbo to a 1.7 liter motor will complain but
the Roc isn't a rocket ship, in many respects it's a lot like the
Miata you have  now: nimble, fun to toss around corners, not quite a
skateboardish mobile but all in all it can haul four people plus some
stuff in the back. And you can go camping with it, too.  :])

Have you explored the following sites?

<http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/cars.html>
<http://www.scrocco.org>
<http://www.driversfound.com>
<http://www.parts4vws.com>

(You will note I don't include my own site- the really good one on my
local drive has yet to have been published, the crappy one i have up
an running is coming down the end of the month.)

In any case I would consider seeing the car in person, take it for a
drive, maybe even buy a local lister lunch and have them come along
for an informed look see.

TBerk