OT: How can I run a server on my own computer

I have DSL on my computer and I really want to run a
server inorder so I can host my own pictures of my
stuff instead of releying on other people to host them
for me.  My question is how do I set one up from my
computer and I've seen programs that automatically
make a gallery so that my pictures show up as
thumbnails.  Is there any free apps for that?  Another
question is do I need to be connected to the internet
so that my server would work?  I turn my computer off
during the day when I am at school and am wondering if
I need to keep the computer on so the server works

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco
1987 White Quantum wagon