OT: How can I run a server on my own computer

Andrew,

First and foremost, if you are going to run a server you *gotta* keep
that machine on all the time.  Second, if you want to host pics all you
need is to setup a web server on your box.  Not sure of your OS, but
several out there should work (PWS for 98, IIS for NT/Win2k, Apache for
Linux/Win32, or Xitami for Win32).  I've used them all but settled on
Xitami cuz it is small and has a web based interface.  Also be sure that
if you are behind a firewall not to forget to forward port 80, or
whatever port you decided to run the service on.

An important question here would be do you want to get yourself a domain
name?  If you are going to run a Dynamic address then I suggest you do
the following, find a domain name that isnt taken ( you can do this at
http://www.netsol.com ) but before registering it head to
http://www.zoneedit.com ( free DNS record hosting up to 200MB worth of
queries a year ) and create your zone file with the domain name you wish
to register (this sets up name servers for you that you can use when
registering your domain name).  Then go back to where you want to
register a domain ( there are a ton out there and I dont necessarily
recommend netsol.  I recently used http://www.godaddy.com as they were
cheap for .com .net and .org addys ) and register a domain and use the
given name servers that zoneedit supplied you.  These are the servers
that will hold your DNS records.

The beauty of using zoneedit for this kinda stuff is you can change your
records via their online administration dealie.  So, if your IP address
changes you can simply go there and update your info.  Other sites exist
( such as http://www.dyndns.org/ ) that allow the use of these client
side scripts that will update that info for you, but not sure if you
want to get into all that.

Otherwise, if you dont use a domain name and your IP changes then its up
to you to inform all those people or whatnot of the new address change.
If you have a domain name you can administer that yourself and not worry
about when the IP changes, only worry about the old address being cached
(but that too you can control at zoneedit).  If you want more indepth
info just ask...  I've done this on DSL & Cable connections, but luckily
now I have my sites moved to a dedicated T-1 connection with a Static
IP.  I however still use DSL/Cable connections as secondary mail servers
& such.

Regarding making thumbnails I tend to do it by hand with notepad but if
you want to automate it you can use Irfanview, which I use on
occassion.  http://www.irfanview.com   There is also the Arles Image Web
Page Creator... I have it on this box but havent messed with it.  I
believe that is what Patrick uses for his thumbnails.  Let me know if I
can be of further help.  Best of luck!

Andre'
Nogaro Green 79 Scirocco
Brazil Brown Metallic 79 Scirocco (in the process of doing its clutch)
Kirkland WA
ICQ #76283458
http://mk1scirocco.com
http://www.nwmicrobrews.com  GOT BEER?