OT and not OT: towing ability

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 14:27:54 -0800 (PST), Dan Smith
<sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Since renting a whole truck to move doesn't seem like a viable plan, I =
was thinking of renting a trailer or 2. Looking at towing with a 8v VW =
(most likely scirocco) and a 01 Jetta 2.0. Haven't looked up the towing =
limits yet but I know Allyn's Rieger can tow that parachute of a trailer =
with a ton of stuff in it. Granted, he doesn't have a stock 8v though... =
It will be all flat, highway miles until CO. Should I even be considering=
 this as an option or is it not a good idea?

My 1975 owners manual says:

trailer w/o brakes - 885lbs 400kg
trailer w/ brakes  - 2205lbs 1100kg
trailer tongue load - 110lbs. 50kg

Power is one thing, but stopping is more important as well as avoiding
the 'tail wagging the dog' problem.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9