[TECH - ELECTRICAL] A question about Grounding of Wiring

ATS - Patrick Bureau wrote:

> I am currently re-wiring the engine bay (shortening and hiding wires from
> eye sight)
>
> the question I have. if a wire that is connected directly to the ground of
> the battery (electrical ground) can be moved to a good chassis ground?
> I understand the Battery ground is wired to the chassis, so in my head this
> would be the same thing, but I am still wondering if there would be a reason
> to not  do this (specifically thinking of moving a line 12 gauge ground wire
> from the TB "kick down" enrichment switch from running 6ft from the TB to
> the battery to 6 inches to the ground at the coil.
>
> any thoughts on good or bad affects this could bring or maybe am I a worry
> worm?
>
> ATS - Patrick Bureau - txrocco@sbcglobal.net
>
> __________________

One of the reasons manufacturers do things the way they do is to
overcome nasty degradation in the future when corrosion has it's way
and car operators haven't thought to clean the grounds.  The
electrical engineers who run sensor and component grounds directly to
the battery negative post want to maintain absolutely a good 12v or
so. If you engineer a combined ground buss you can reproduce the wires
wherever you want.

Consider taking a big ol' honking cable from the battery post to some
spot of your choosing, tie it into one of those buss units the big
radio guys have and tie your device grounds into that. It could even
be in the cabin somewhere.

In any case, clean and bright metal, coated to prevent future
corrosion and nice tight connections will serve you well, where ever
you connect.

Lastly, if you will depend on these chassis grounds you will want to
provide for a good chassis to block to battery connection. Replace the
existing battery strap with a large gauge cable to the chassis and
block. Make the electricity think it's all one big block of metal.

hth,
TBerk