idle air valve.

On a CIS 8v, all of the idle air valve's function is
to help it idle better when cold by allowing some air
to bypass the TB, which artificially raises the idle
RPM. The valve is fed with a constant +12v, and closes
completely after a bit...though I'm not sure exactly
how...I think it has a timer or maybe a little
internal heater element that expands to close the
valve.

The 16v ISV is electronically controlled, so it may be
used by the ECU to make the car run smoother in all
conditions and possibly improve emissions a little,
but still mostly the same thing. For the most part, it
is triggered to close when the coolant temp reaches a
certain level, but it can still open or pulse or
flutter as necessary whenever the computer decides to
adjust the idle, like when you turn on the A/C.

If you remove it, the car will probably idle fine when
warm. It may idle rough, or too low when the engine is
cold. It could die when trying to idle while cold too.
If you have A/C, it might affect idle when it is on.

But if you live in a warm climate, or if you set the
idle a little higher, or if don't mind sitting in the
car while it's warming up, you can probably remove it.

I removed the ISV on my G60 (basically same as the 16v
ISV), and it runs fine after it's warmed-up. But my
car is pretty much "full-race." I wouldn't do that on
my daily driver, IMHO.

Neal