Brief question about MK1 front bumpers

VeeWdriver@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 03/10/2003 8:05:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> vwdaun@yahoo.com writes:
>
> --- Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My gold rocc was an S, but I had stripped the old shoddy
> > tape off.
>
> Ummm, Julie...   the Scirocco S never came in gold - 'twas
> not an S.
>
> Which reminds me...is there any way by VIN to tell if a Roc was originally an
> S?  I've been calling my 80 and S for years.  Here's what I know...
>
> Car's been repainted numerous times, but was originally white with a red
> interior.  It has the high bolster S seats in it now, but they've been
> recovered.  The dash is black, but has no woodgrain or any other insert in
> it.  The instrument cluster is black also.  The bumpers have no strip in them
> either, chrome or red and like I said, it's been painted several times so
> there's no telling if it had the stripes or any decals on it.  And to top it
> all off, it was debadged.
>
> So, is there any way to tell aside from the usual things which I can't tell
> on mine?
>
> Tom in Tucson

It's a very good chance that a post '79 Mk1 Scirocco without a wood
grain dash trim and Instrument Cluster (in plain pebble finish Black)
is an S model. There are some differences as well in the rear trunk
area re: carpet covers the rear wheel wells (i.e.. strut tower), and
of course there is an S on the back.

Prior to the Eighties the 'best' model was called a Champagne Edition.
Neither it nor the S had any mechanical improvements, no power
upgrades, just a higher level of trim.

TBerk