Was MK1 front bumpers, now, identifying a MkI 'S'

--- Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Which reminds me...is there any way by VIN to tell if a
> Roc was originally an
> > S?  I've been calling my 80 and S for years.  Here's
> what I know...
>
> This car I'm getting, in Sacramento, is an '81.  Has S
> badges, seats are non-original, woodgrain
> cluster surround, indents in dash but no woodgrain
> strips, color red (s'posed to be o-riginal), no
> sunroof.  CarFax said something about being a
> "Deluxe"...is this a real S, or an impostor???  (I
> don't really care, just curious).

I don't *think* there's any way to tell by VIN# if it's an
S or not, but I can not say for sure.  Ron, the dash
surround in the car you're getting has been replaced with a
"standard" cluster, i.e. woodgrain and not black.

As for other S features:

-Red stripes replaced the "chrome" stripes on bumpers and
side moulding.
-Red badging all 'round.
-Zender air dam. (usually missing, cracked.)
-Blacked out window trim. (usually faded off by now.)
-Black dash with no woodgrain strip insets, no woodgrain
dash surround.
-5-speed only, no automatic available.
-Highly bolstered seats with special fabric.

Colors:
-'80 S available in Mars Red, Black, and Alpine White.
-'81 S available in Mars Red, Cosmos Silver, and Cirrus
Grey.

Interior colors:
-'80 S:  White and Black "S" models had red door panels,
carpet and two-tone red seats.  Red cars had black door
panels, carpet and black & white seats.  Fabric had
horizontal "Strobe Stripe" pattern.  (No kidding, that's
what VW called it!)

-'81 S:  All had black door panels and seats.  Mars Red
cars had black seats with white longitudinal stripes,
Cosmos Silver and Cirrus Grey cars had black seats with red
striping in the same pattern.

Does that clear it up for everyone?  :)

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '66 Cessna 150, '82 Scirocco.
"Any idiot can face a crisis.  It's this day to day living that wears you out." - Anton Chekhov