Brief question about MK1 front bumpers

In a message dated 03/10/2003 8:05:26 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
vwdaun@yahoo.com writes:

--- Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My gold rocc was an S, but I had stripped the old shoddy
> tape off.

Ummm, Julie...   the Scirocco S never came in gold - 'twas
not an S.

Which reminds me...is there any way by VIN to tell if a Roc was originally an
S?  I've been calling my 80 and S for years.  Here's what I know...

Car's been repainted numerous times, but was originally white with a red
interior.  It has the high bolster S seats in it now, but they've been
recovered.  The dash is black, but has no woodgrain or any other insert in
it.  The instrument cluster is black also.  The bumpers have no strip in them
either, chrome or red and like I said, it's been painted several times so
there's no telling if it had the stripes or any decals on it.  And to top it
all off, it was debadged.

So, is there any way to tell aside from the usual things which I can't tell
on mine?

Tom in Tucson
88 16 V Scirocco  80 Scirocco S  80 Scirocco  79 Scirocco  76 Scirocco FSP
Project
 The Slowest, Rustiest, Crappiest and worst looking scirocco(s) in all of
Tucson!
www.area-53.com
Armor Door Plates - $42.95 shipped to the lower 48