Brief question about MK1 front bumpers

In a message dated 3/10/03 10:04:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vwdaun@yahoo.com writes:

> Ok, so did we get this hammered out?  The pre '78 cars had
>  the chrome bumpers.  "Regular" '78-'81 cars had silver
>  colored tape on black plastic bumper covers, and the "S"
>  models had red tape on black plastic bumper covers.

I think it's hammered :) My silver '81 Scirocco is an S model (was that
considered the 'deluxe' version?), but hasn't a trace of tape of any color on
its black plastic bumpers. Maybe that's a good thing... the whole tape idea
does sound kinda cheese.

Court