making an 8v just a tad peppier question

Wife has an 89 cabbie and really doesn't like having to hang way back when
she's taling my rocco.  So i'm looking for some ideas on how to make the 8v
in her cabbie just a bit peppier.  Not looking for complete engine rebuilt
type info, I'd love to do that, but not for something she mainly uses to
cruise around town in.  Just want some ideas for when she's running with the
rocco's that will allow her to keep up a bit better wihtout straining the
engine too much.  The cabbie is running a 8v hydro enigine so those great
solid lifter cams are outta the question too, bummer.

William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v
71' Karmann Ghia