Front crossmember stress bar

--- Shawn c Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> wrote:
>> Price *should* be $100 plus
>

>Ya might want to test this before selling them. ??

They aren't for sale yet Seanie-poo.  Just giving people a heads up to what the final product will be.  Alot of people were "going" to make these bars....not a single one is available at the moment, I am merely tossing my bar into the mix.  I think I am with everyone here, that it the waiting for Ron Wood is over.

And yes, while I don't have a current A1 with a cracked crossmember, the plan is to find someone with cracks, and to test the bar.  (IE, measure cracks, put bar on, beat on car for 6 months, measure cracks again).

>How will the front motor mount bolt up? Will that flat plate sit behind
>the mount?

yes, and instead of the massive holes in the front cup that use washers, we are considering cutting the holes exactly the same and tapping them so the bolts thread through the plate then the x-member.

>I dont think it will completely eliminate the flexing. In order for this
>to completely eliminate the flexing it needs to tie into the cross member
>in a few places. Its only a little better than the last design we saw
>here. GL!

As stated before, compromises were made.  Sure, the ideal solution is to weld the whole damn thing up, or replace it completely.  That is not the goal here.  Bolt in *SCCA* legal chassis reinforcement is the goal...and to hopefully stop the damage that high hp motors cause to the x-member.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg