Front crossmember stress bar

------=_NextPart_000_0176_01C2E5D4.5F69EC80

> The crossmember you are trying to reinforce is MUCH stiffer than the =
"reinforcement"

    i have to agree with larry on this one. the stock beam is a 4" =
triangular box, that when un-cracked, can support jacking a scirocco up =
from that front mount bracket, with 0 flexing to boot.

> The crossmember you are trying to reinforce is MUCH stiffer than the =
"reinforcement",
> consequently the stock crossmember is still going to absorb 99% of the =
stress.

i agree with this as well, provided that the original cross member is =
uncracked. this is only because the factory beam is easily more rigid =
than a 4 ft span of 1" box steel. when a force is applied, the 1" beam =
will flex, so most of the load will then be taken by the factory =
x-member.

    while erics bar makes more sense than some i have seen in the past, =
it still does rely on the front cross member. actually, erics bar forms =
a 'v'. compared with a beam that sits horizontal, it will make a stiffer =
support, but it will also add tensile forces to the piece that we are =
worried about splitting. the front mount moving upwards will act on that =
'v', and given how shallow of a 'v' it is, this will result in a rather =
large force trying to push the 2 bumper mounts apart from eachother. if =
you already have splits in your core support, a shalow 'v' may end up =
causing more damage in the end. dont get me wrong, erics bar will =
definitely reinforce the cross member, im just concerned about how the =
forces are being redirected by that bar.
    i believe the best solution would be a tubular steel boxed 'v'. =
boxed with the same tubes forming the 'v', as opposed to relying on the =
body of the car. this piece could be made of lighter material, as there =
would be no bending stresses on any of the sections, only tensile and =
compressive. minimum diameter would be only limited by buckling under =
compressive load.
    picture a 2d version of this: =
http://www.scirocco.org/photos/misc/cross.jpg . if you had a flat, =
vertical boxed 'v' it would be very strong under the up/down loading =
from the engine. it will still be subject to twisting loads, but this =
can be easily compensated for by having the bracket bolt in from behind, =
resulting in the mount cup being in the same plane as the 'v', which =
would kill off the twisting and should make a pretty rigid mount.
    ...and once you do that, now you have to worry about something else =
cracking :)

Al

----- Original Message -----=20