  From: Eric S=20
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 4:03 PM
  Subject: Front crossmember stress bar

  Hello all!

  Alot of people have been working on this I know...and one bolt =
together bar is in testing.

  However, I now have a prototype of a fully welded bar...more tweeking =
continues.  It will be FULLY bolt in.

  Work continues this week, should have a ready to bolt in bar to test =
on ALL of my A1 chassis vehicles (see my sig...only A1 chassis I am =
missing is a Mk1 Jetta).

  Price *should* be $100 plus shipping, fully welded, 3/16s steel (box =
and plate steel used..the box steel has 3/16s walls and is inch square =
outer diameter (IE, strong as hell).  However, the plate steel will =
allow for side flex to not load the front motor mount with cornering =
forces...this bar is designed to control upward movement ONLY).  Bar =
will come bare or primed based on request.  Powder coating, and other =
options will be available for higher cost.

  Here are pics (again, this is a very very rough prototype):

  http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/~blklace/BAR/

  Please let me know if you are interested...and general feelings of its =
construction.  Realize, I am attempting to make a universal bar for all =
A1 chassis, hence some compromises were made in its design. =20

  (and damn are there alot of little annoying differences on A1 chassis =
cars throughout the years)

  I am fully confident that it will not allow the crossmember to flex =
upward at all however, no matter what A1 chassis it is bolted to.
  =20
  --
  Eric
  Northglenn, CO

  79 VW Iltis
  81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
  81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
  83 Scirocco Wolfsburg
  91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in =
progress)

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C2E592.5DC0FD70

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have to say something now about this =
bar; It=20
ain't gonna' do a whole hell of a lot.&nbsp; It's way too long for it's=20
diameter...too much flex.&nbsp; The crossmember you are trying to =
reinforce is=20
MUCH stiffer than the "reinforcement", consequently the stock =
crossmember is=20
still going to absorb 99% of the stress. If you&nbsp;want to stock the =
cracking,=20
weld a large, thick, form-fitted steel plate to the crossmember.&nbsp; =
This will=20
spread out those stresses.&nbsp; The trick reinforcing bar is way too =
flexible=20
to transmit the vertical stresses to the sides.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That's all...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Larry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>sandiego16v</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:scirocco81@vwmail.net"; =
title=3Dscirocco81@vwmail.net>Eric S</A>=20
  </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"=20
  title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, March 08, 2003 =
4:03=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Front crossmember =
stress=20
  bar</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>Hello all!<BR><BR>Alot of people have been working on =
this I=20
  know...and one bolt together bar is in testing.<BR><BR>However, I now =
have a=20
  prototype of a fully welded bar...more tweeking continues.&nbsp; It =
will be=20
  FULLY bolt in.<BR><BR>Work continues this week, should have a ready to =
bolt in=20
  bar to test on ALL of my A1 chassis vehicles (see my sig...only A1 =
chassis I=20
  am missing is a Mk1 Jetta).<BR><BR>Price *should* be $100 plus =
shipping, fully=20
  welded, 3/16s steel (box and plate steel used..the box steel has 3/16s =
walls=20
  and is inch square outer diameter (IE, strong as hell).&nbsp; However, =
the=20
  plate steel will allow for side flex to not load the front motor mount =
with=20
  cornering forces...this bar is designed to control upward movement=20
  ONLY).&nbsp; Bar will come bare or primed based on request.&nbsp; =
Powder=20
  coating, and other options will be available for higher =
cost.<BR><BR>Here are=20
  pics (again, this is a very very rough prototype):<BR><BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/~blklace/BAR/";>http://www.vint=
agewatercooleds.com/~blklace/BAR/</A><BR><BR>Please=20
  let me know if you are interested...and general feelings of its=20
  construction.&nbsp; Realize, I am attempting to make a universal bar =
for all=20
  A1 chassis, hence some compromises were made in its design.&nbsp; =
<BR><BR>(and=20
  damn are there alot of little annoying differences on A1 chassis cars=20
  throughout the years)<BR><BR>I am fully confident that it will not =
allow the=20
  crossmember to flex upward at all however, no matter what A1 chassis =
it is=20
  bolted to.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>--<BR>Eric<BR>Northglenn, CO<BR><BR>79 VW =
Iltis<BR>81=20
  Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding =
pattern)<BR>81=20
  Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)<BR>83 Scirocco=20
  Wolfsburg<BR>91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow 8v swap and mechanical =
rebuild in=20
  =
cco-l=20
  mailing list<BR><A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:Scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>Scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A><BR><A=
=20
  =
href=3D"http://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l";>http://neubayer=
n.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C2E592.5DC0FD70--