why is my compression bad? :(

Now this is very similar to what I have done before on GM and Ford engines,
and though I looked for the info in the Bentley found no break-oin
recommendations and found nothing, I did find 2 suggested ways....

VW Owners manual states:

p49 1985 vw scirocco owner's manual

The internal friction in a new engine is high. it will diminish gradually as
all moving parts adjust to each other. you can contribute to extending the
service life and economy of your engine by observing the following
pre-caustions;

during the first 600 Miles/1000 kms;
Full throttle should be avoided.
the maximum permissible engine speed is 4200 RPM
from 600Mile to 900 miles the speed can be gradually increased.
and they show a chart about before and after 600 miles point with speed
relative that should not be used on what gears....bla blabla...

According to :1975-1992 Vw A1 Haynes Manual

Initial startup and breaking in after overhaul

Once the engine has been installed in vehicule, with spark plug out of
engine, and the ignition system disabled, crank the engine until oil
pressure register on the guage or indicator light goes out, install spark
plug, wires and restore ignition functions.start engine and let warm up to
noraml operations, then shut engine off and check levels.

Drive the vehicule to an area with minimum traffic, accelerate at full
throttle from 30 to 50 MPH, then allow the vehicule to slow to 30mph with
the throttle closed, repeat procedure 10-12 times. This will load the piston
rings and cause them to seat properly against the cylinder walls, check
again for oil and coolant levels.

(so far all above is usually done at the factory)

Drive the vehicule gently for the first 500 miles (no sustained high speed)
keep the oil and coolant level in check, not unusual for an engine to use
oil/coolant during break-in period.

Change oil and oil filter at approximatively 500-600 miles, for the next few
hundred miles, drive the vehicule normally dont pamper it oit abuse it.

After 2000 miles change oil and filter and consider engine is broken in.