Does the 16v have a EGR valve??

--=====================_6174999==_.ALT

OMG -- you guys are way off on this one!

Some new cars have "charcoal activated" microfilters to filter out
pollutants from incoming HVAC air.  The Scirocco has no such thing.

As gasoline sits, it evaporates, letting Hydrocarbons (HC) enter the
atmosphere.  Our fuel systems are sealed to prevent this, and the charcoal
canister is designed to collect these HCs while the car is sitting, and
then sends the vapors into the intake when the car is started to burn them
off.  I don't recommend removing it; there's no benefit.

Jason

At 05:54 PM 3/2/2003, Ryan H wrote:
>That's me with the tech article... as for its use, I don't think anyone is
>100% sure, but I found as much as I could about it and put it in my own
>words.  And yeah, it only weighs about 2 pounds for the whole system.  But
>you get rid of three vacuum lines that are potential leakers:
>http://home.epix.net/~rhock99/tech_cc.htm
>

> > AFAIK, the charcoal canister is meant for the cabin air. It's supposed
> to filter out some of the nasty crap outside before the air goes inside.
> Someone, I forget who, had a tech article on how to get rid of it,
> although it doesn't weigh much (about 1lb if I remember correctly).
>

>  Michael Abatzis <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>not on the 16v. i think some of the early 8v's have em though. i think the
>>crankcase breather system performs the same function, but no valve. there is
>>a mysterious charcoal canister, but i haven't a clue as to what that does.
>>useless as always,
>>

>>-Michael Abatzis
>>Hotlanta! GA
>>1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
>>www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
>>1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...
>>

>> >From: RRoyce4u@aol.com
>> >To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>> >Subject: Does the 16v have a EGR valve??
>> >Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:51:28 -0500
>> >
>> >My 16v failed emissions on NOx and I have found several sources that say
>> >the EGR valve could cause this. Does the 16v have an EGR valve? Can you
>> >tell me where it is located?
>> > Tia, Ray

>AFAIK, the charcoal canister is meant for the cabin air. It's supposed to
>filter out some of the nasty crap outside before the air goes inside.
>Someone, I forget who, had a tech article on how to get rid of it,
>although it doesn't weigh much (about 1lb if I remember correctly).
>
>Dan
>

>Do you Yahoo!?
><http://rd.yahoo.com/finance/mailtagline/*http://taxes.yahoo.com/>Yahoo!
>Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, and more

--=====================_6174999==_.ALT

OMG -- you guys are way off on this one! <br><br>
Some new cars have &quot;charcoal activated&quot; microfilters to filter
out pollutants from incoming HVAC air.&nbsp; The Scirocco has no such
thing.<br><br>
As gasoline sits, it evaporates, letting Hydrocarbons (HC) enter the
atmosphere.&nbsp; Our fuel systems are sealed to prevent this, and the
charcoal canister is designed to collect these HCs while the car is
sitting, and then sends the vapors into the intake when the car is
started to burn them off.&nbsp; I don't recommend removing it; there's no
benefit.<br><br>
Jason<br><br>
At 05:54 PM 3/2/2003, Ryan H wrote:<br>
as for its use, I don't think anyone is 100% sure, but I found as much as
I could about it and put it in my own words.&nbsp; And yeah, it only
weighs about 2 pounds for the whole system.&nbsp; But you get rid of
three vacuum lines that are potential leakers:<br>
&gt; AFAIK, the charcoal canister is meant for the cabin air. It's
supposed to filter out some of the nasty crap outside before the air goes
inside. Someone, I forget who, had a tech article on how to get rid of
it, although it doesn't weigh much (about 1lb if I remember
correctly).<br><br>
&nbsp; <br><br>
early 8v's have em though. i think the <br>
crankcase breather system performs the same function, but no valve. there
is <br>
a mysterious charcoal canister, but i haven't a clue as to what that
does. <br>
useless as always,<br><br>
-Michael Abatzis<br>
Hotlanta! GA<br>
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP--&gt;parting, finally taking orders: <br>
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...<br><br>
&gt;From: RRoyce4u@aol.com<br>
&gt;To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org<br>
&gt;Subject: Does the 16v have a EGR valve??<br>
&gt;Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 23:51:28 -0500<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;My 16v failed emissions on NOx and I have found several sources that
say <br>
&gt;the EGR valve could cause this. Does the 16v have an EGR valve? Can
you <br>
&gt;tell me where it is located?<br>
&gt; Tia, Ray<br>
&gt;<br>