Recommeded method for cleaning exposed engine bay wiring?

During what seems like my endless fondling of my CIS-E harness making sure I've got it all figured out for my 16v transplant into my cabby, I've noticed that several wires have cracks in their insulation relatively close to their connectors. Many of these exposed locations have some degree of engine bay grime.

Can someone recommend the proper way to clean these without leaving residual solvent or crud?

For locations that have the wire completely intact, I plan to just use some electrical tape and heat-shrink tubing over that once clean. For locations that have some fraying, I will solder the exposed area and then proceed as listed above.

Any input is greatly appreciated (including other tips for preventive maintenance on engine bay wiring)!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff