Painting Bumpers

Finally getting close to the completion of my 82 Rocco.  I read a thread a
while back on painting euro bumpers. How about the stock bumpers with the
"pebble" finish. I am getting a number of different opinions if the bumpers
can actually be successfully painted.
Will it be necessary to sand the plastic bumper cover to a smooth finish?
(looks kike a lot of work). What about filling and fixing minor  gouges in
the plastic? I assume an application of plastic prep and flexible primer is
required prior to painting.  In addition a black 16V body kit will be added
and I assume the prep technique would be the same. The finished color will
be metallic dark green. Anyone with with advise on painting the bumpers,
would be helpful. If not what can be done to restore the original black
color of the plastic. They are quite bleached from the sun.

Willhawk
Winnipeg
82 Scirocco
83 Rabbit GTi