Painting Bumpers

hope i can help, if you want to bring the original black back to a nice black luster try this stuff called 'forever black' good stuff. you can find it on the internet at various places just do a search. it is black dye in a bottle just for doing this.

about the paint. i recently had mine painted and i started sanding the texture off and the guy i have paint told me he was glad i didnt sand everything off b/c it will be easier for the paint to stick to. dont worry about the sanding. have the painter put to heavy coats of primer on and sand them smooth. they will look beautiful. about the guoges in them i think you have the right idea. my bumpers were far from perfect and still they looek perfect to me now

"W. Hawker" <willhawk@shaw.ca> wrote:
Finally getting close to the completion of my 82 Rocco. I read a thread a
while back on painting euro bumpers. How about the stock bumpers with the
"pebble" finish. I am getting a number of different opinions if the bumpers
can actually be successfully painted.
Will it be necessary to sand the plastic bumper cover to a smooth finish?
(looks kike a lot of work). What about filling and fixing minor gouges in
the plastic? I assume an application of plastic prep and flexible primer is
required prior to painting. In addition a black 16V body kit will be added
and I assume the prep technique would be the same. The finished color will
be metallic dark green. Anyone with with advise on painting the bumpers,
would be helpful. If not what can be done to restore the original black
color of the plastic. They are quite bleached from the sun.

Willhawk
Winnipeg
82 Scirocco
83 Rabbit GTi