Radio wiring question...

I think this is in a FAQ somewhere...

Wire the unswitched power (battery) lead on your radio to constant 12V.
This is usually the heavier guage of the two wires, and has a 10 or 15 amp
in line fuse, depending on the power of the head unit.

Wire the switched power lead (usually 5 amp or less fuse, lighter guage
wire) to the key-in-ignition circuit from the ignition switch.  This is as
close to an accessory circuit that A1 and A2 VW's get to, and is siwtched
12V+ when there is a key in the ignition.  It's used to inform the seat
belt warning system that there's a key in the ignition.  The wire you're
looking for is brown with a red stripe, and is on terminal Su of the
ignition switch (IIRC.)

You can tee directly into this wire and use it as switched power for most
modern head units.  If you're powering a radio driectly (ie an old radio
with no battery circuit) then you'll want to use the Su circuit to switch
a relay that can power your head unit.

I've done this on every VW I've driven, with teh exception of the 92, 97
and the 99, which all came from factory with this circuit in the wiring
harness for the radio, and have had no ill effects.  It allows the radio
to be on whenever the key (or any key that fits, actually) is inserted in
the igniton, and turns it off when the key is removed.

You can access the ignition harness by pulling the lower steering column
cover off.

HTH,

Drew