need alignment spec suggestions (H&R springs)

> so super-aggressive handling at
> the expense of my new tires isn't desired.

just go with factory specs. since the springs lower the car, you may run
into an issue where the guy cant get the front camber within the
specification (too far negative). if this happens, just have the guy match
both sides, as close to the spec as possible. slightly out of spec negative
camber is not a big deal, but if both sides arent matched, you will get
torque steer.

> Also, is a thrust-angle alignment sufficient or should I get the 4-wheel
> alignment?

get 4 wheel. also, be sure the shop a) knows how to shim the rear of a vw.
and b) has the correct shims for your vw in stock.

hth
Al