Hard brake line

www.mcmaster.com

Larry
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John K. Gates
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 5:37 AM
  Subject: Hard brake line

  Hello, all,

  First, I'll introduce.  I've met a few of the guys here but have been a
  first class lurker since 1996 or so, not having a whole lot of time to
  read the deluge of posts everyday.  I'm in upstate NY around Syracuse. I
  have an '85 Scirocco I've been hanging onto until I manage to get a big
  enough garage where I can really have space to work.  It's a southern
  car and it's in OK shape but it's definitely in need of a few things..

  My problem:  Soft brake pedal led me to take a look at the rubber brake
  hoses.  I found the RR one to be almost rubbed through by the fuel line
  that runs next to it by the pump, and am trying to replace it.  I have
  the front union free but I can't get the rear one even after dropping
  the axle and resorting to more and more force, to include vice grips.  I
  think I can solve my problem by buying the rear hard line pre-made and
  just cutting this mess off

  I'm wondering tho, for the other side which I can't get apart at all
  (and might as well do at the same time) about bending and flaring tools
  to deal with the front hard line.  I know you can get the bending tool
  fine at Napa, but the double flare tool has been elusive.  Zelenda
  perhaps?  Can anyone offer advice on obtaining the tool?  Perhaps on
  flaring procedure?  I've heard it's not especially easy.

  Thanks,

  John Gates
  --
  '85 Scirocco