side moulding gets stretched out of shape?

My friend, on his old 16v (RIP), used a hair drier on them to warm the adhesive and he said they peeled off nice and easy.  He also did the black patch between the doors and rear side windows.  Looked nice on his (white paint), until of course, he killed it.

Michael Abatzis <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:nah, you won't have a problem. the molding has a metal backing that will
keep it from stretching. i just did this about a month ago. and i yanked, no
delicate scraping.

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...

>From: Lisa Lutman
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: side moulding gets stretched out of shape?
>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:08:56 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I heard a rumour that if you take off the side
>moulding (i.e. if you car is getting painted) that it
>gets stretched out of shape and you pretty much can't
>reuse it. Is this true?
>
>Half my car is being painted thanks to an unfortunate
>accident so I'm wondering cuz I want the moulding to
>match all the way around and not be half new and half
>old.
>
>Lisa

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source