Problem turning over and ground upgrades

I have been having this intermittent starting problem.  Car has to usually sit over night.  Go to start the car get the fuel pump buzz(kinda sickly sounding) but starter does not engage, hold key in start for 5 second and then it turn over.  Now I never really paid attention to the grounding upgrading talk cause I never had the problem.  Think that is what the problem is?  I know your supposed to add something to the alternator but I don't know where, there are like 4 places that a wire can be attached to, and then, where else does it go? Thanks

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta Vr6