Problem turning over and ground upgrades

I just went through a similar thingy with my 8v, my connections looked fine, no white flakey shit.  Yet the problem persisted for an embarassingly long time.

 Remove all of the wires connected to your battery and starter, clean them with sandpaper or a file,  re-attach them after applying that nifty anti-corossive spray poo (I did'nt but I'm sure it's a good idea).

Also check/clean the point at which your negative cable attaches to your frame and the bellhousing.

Anson

Captnbr@aol.com wrote:
I have been having this intermittent starting problem. Car has to usually sit over night. Go to start the car get the fuel pump buzz(kinda sickly sounding) but starter does not engage, hold key in start for 5 second and then it turn over. Now I never really paid attention to the grounding upgrading talk cause I never had the problem. Think that is what the problem is? I know your supposed to add something to the alternator but I don't know where, there are like 4 places that a wire can be attached to, and then, where else does it go? Thanks

Brian 86 16v
98 Jetta Vr6