CIS Injector help

 --- Cory Langford <corylang@dccnet.com> wrote: >

> Okay,
>
> This is the first time I have had to pull injectors.  The Car is an '87
> Jetta (us model).  Injectors pull fine, I am replacing the O-rings when I
> replace the injectors.
>
> So First question is: anything Else I need to replace when I get the new
> injectors?

New seats might be a good idea - they're cheap...  Also, lube up the o-rings with a bit
of gas to help them slide in the seats easier...  One more thing - after installing the
new injectors on the lines, place them all in a jar or something and lift the plate in
the fuel distributor with the ign. on.  Purge them for a while - they'll be "screaming" -
don't be alarmed...  :)

> Second question:  The injectors from the Jetta only have 1 O ring (at the
> top close to the fuel line connection).  I pulled a set of injectors I from
> the old JH engine I had in the roc.  I know these to be good so I was going
> to use them, but they have 2 O-rings.  One at the top, and one at the very
> bottom.
>
> For my benefit, what is the difference - besides the two rings :)

The injectors with one o-ring are from a non air-shrouded head.  2 o-rings:
air-shrouded...

> Can I
> use the injectors from the JH on the Jetta engine?  Do I need to pull the
> injector inserts from the head of the JH and install them into the Jetta to
> use these injectors, or do I need to go find the other ones?  (I can find a
> whole wack of injectors for sale with 2 seals, so I am assuming they are
> the same as the ones from the roc).

The air-shrouded seats have a different size O.D, so the seats themselves are not
interchangable...  You can run non air-shrouded injectors in the air-shrouded seats -
just block off the air inlet with some RTV or cap it...  I've run this setup for years
with no problems.

I'm not so sure it'll work the other way around though.  Methinks the 2 o-ring injectors
won't fit in the non air-shrouded seats, and since the proper seats won't fit that head,
I think you're screwed on that one...  I'm not 100% sure on that though - I haven't tried
it myself, and I don't have one of each of the injectors in front of me to compare...

HTH,

Mark.
80 S
81 S