CIS Injector help

>This is the first time I have had to pull injectors.  The Car is an '87
>Jetta (us model).  Injectors pull fine, I am replacing the O-rings when I
>replace the injectors.
>
>So First question is: anything Else I need to replace when I get the new
>injectors?

It would be a good idea to replace the holders, too.  Check here, they're
really cheap:

<http://www.impexfap.com/partlist.cfm?getpart=65565&subcategory=4153#part65565>

>Second question:  The injectors from the Jetta only have 1 O ring (at the
>top close to the fuel line connection).  I pulled a set of injectors I from
>the old JH engine I had in the roc.  I know these to be good so I was going
>to use them, but they have 2 O-rings.  One at the top, and one at the very
>bottom.
>
>For my benefit, what is the difference - besides the two rings :)  Can I
>use the injectors from the JH on the Jetta engine?  Do I need to pull the
>injector inserts from the head of the JH and install them into the Jetta to
>use these injectors, or do I need to go find the other ones?  (I can find a
>whole wack of injectors for sale with 2 seals, so I am assuming they are
>the same as the ones from the roc).

The injectors with the 2 rings are called shrouded injectors.  You'll
probably notice the little cap on the end that holds the smaller seal.  I
think they are a good idea.  When I took the injectors out of my bad motor
recently, they had only the one seal, and the injectors in the new (used)
engine I got had the shroud and 2 seals.  The single sealed injector's rings
were cooked, hard as a rock.  I guess the second seal protects the larger
one, extending its life.  Also, I think the shroud is somehow supposed to
protect the injector itself.

HTH!

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA