Fasteners

At 11:34 PM 01/19/2003 -0500, Aaron Aunins wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Does anyone  know anywhere besides Volkswagen where I can find new water
>pump/power steering pump pulley bolts?

These are not particularly expensive, especially when you consider that you
are only buying a few.  The factory ones are high grade and have the nice
plating to help the fight against corrosion.  Specialty fastener companies
generally want to sell in quantities of 100.   (Once found an
"enthusiast"  in one of those industrial fastener stores and he realized
what I wanted them for he he quietly told me that he would sell to me in
any quantity I wanted.

Chris

P.S.  I don't know much about stainless steel fasteners, they might be a
bit brittle, but I would use them in areas that are not too highly
stressed.  I noticed that Lowe's hardware/lumber stores carry a nice
selection for stainless steel metric fasteners.  If we have a metallurgist,
materials engineer or other person with actual knowledge about stainless
steel fasteners maybe we can get some insight in regards to their
application to automotive uses.  I don't recall Carroll Smith mentioning
stainless steel fasteners in his book.  Will have to look it up.