From: <brianm@earendel.org>
To: "Jeffrey W. Bynum" <audiodyn@otelco.net>
Cc: <brian_wagner@sbcglobal.net>; <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: Brake problems in a 16v Conversion (85 Cabriolet)

You mean the one thats been there for at least a year and a half.. you
Finnally went out and got it...
And check the pin on the pedal cluster.
brian

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Jeffrey W. Bynum wrote:

> Brian,
>     Not to rub it in, but guess where the Scirocco came from? It was
traded in at Lewisville VW (North of Dallas). I have a sister that was
living in Little Elm at the time. So I had the car taken to her house until
I could pick it up.....

> Jeff

a 1985 Cabriolet with a full 16v conversion- motor, tranny, all wiring,
brakes, MC, booster, pedal cluster, rear disk axle beam, exhaust, etc.
Esentially it is a complete Scirocco 16v transplanted into a Cabriolet.
>         The brakes have no pedal - it goes all the way to the floor. The
front brakes are off of a running/driving 16v Scirocco (new pads, and
rotors), the rear is a scirocco axle beam, and A3 calipers (brand new, new
pads, new rotors, etc). The car also has a new 22mm Corrado MC. I first
tried bleeding the brakes with my Motive power bleeder- starting at the rear
PS, with the A3 caliper removed from the stub axle so that I could bleed it
with the nipple facing corrrectly, as not to induce air into the system.
from there moving on to the DS rear, PS front, and then DS front. The brakes
bleed great, all air seems to be evacuated, and then when I get in the
car....WTF?!?!? no pedal. I tried replacing the MC with another new one
(this time a german ATE instead of an Italian made one), to the same result.
I tried replacing the booster with another, same result. Always bleeds fine,
but still no pedal. I have even tried bleeding it manually, but no go. I
used all new or known good parts to avoid problems, but no luck. I even
connected all the lines without the proportioning valves , just to see if it
made any difference. I would appreciate any and all input on the matter, as
I would really like to get the car out of my garage to move another project
inside.....(1988 Scirocco 16v , 47k original miles, white, no sunroof,
manual window/lock, cloth /vinyl, 1 lady owner, nonsmoker....)......help
please. I can make em run, just not having much luck in stopping this
thing....